Do you find eating healthy at home is challenging? I feel ya! Being home 24/7 has its highs and lows when it comes to making right food choices. If you have kids, it’s even harder! Junk food takes up a good space of the pantry and way too easy to grab and eat. Here are some tips and tricks to get back on the healthy eating train:
- Buy more FRESH fruits and vegetables– If you’re like me, when I have fresh produce in my fridge, it forces me to eat healthier because I do not want the food to spoil and have to throw it all away! TIP: If you find that you cannot finish all of your fruits or veggies before they expire, freeze them! Wash, cut, Ziplock and date your produce and store them in your freezer for future use. I do this all the time and it’s great to be able to quickly grab and use these items when I’m in a pinch for dinner (or a smoothie)!
- Get rid of the junk food– OK, we’ve heard this before but realistically, junk food is comforting at times, especially at a time like now. The key is to not go overboard with the quantity of unhealthy food. Just have a couple items that bring you joy! Allow yourself one or two portion size snacks per day to keep away those binge cravings. My comfort snacks are pretzel M&M’s, butter toffee peanuts and full-sugar coffee creamers!
- Have an accountability buddy– This “buddy” can be a family member, friend, neighbor, whoever! Check in with each other everyday or just once a week to make sure you’re staying on track. Make it a team effort!
- Write it down– I promise you, writing down every single piece of food down in a journal or app will open your eyes to what you’re consuming each day! Whenever I feel like I’m getting off track on my eating habits, I fire up Myfitnesspal app and start documenting. I know this may sound tedious at first, but just do it for a few days and it’ll be enough to make a difference make you more aware.
- Get moving instead of snacking– There’s a difference between eating because you’re really hungry and snacking due to boredom and something to do. Get up and MOVE instead if you’re simply bored. Even if it’s just doing some jumping jacks and push-ups in your living room, play with your kiddos or go for a walk outside…whatever!
- Drink more water– I’ll admit, this is one that I’m continuously working on. Thirst can sometimes be mistaken for hunger and that can lead to overeating when we should be hydrating instead. Our bodies are made of about 60% water! We should be consuming anywhere between 2-3 liters of H2O per day! Have a re-fillable water bottle on your desk or next to you at all times and make sure it’s filled. When hunger strikes and you just finished a meal, taking some big gulps of water and wait about 15-20 minutes. If you really are hungry after that time, eat a light and healthy snack.
Incorporate these tips and new habits into your routine and let me know if they worked for you!
What a crazy time it is for everyone during this Covid-19 pandemic. With schools and businesses shut down and people being encouraged to not leave their homes, it still feels surreal and like we’re all in really bad long movie where we don’t know the outcome. Learning how to adapt to homeschooling AND entertaining my 6-year-old son, Apollo, has also been a challenge as well. I miss teaching my fitness classes, training clients and being around all of my wonderful work family.
Despite all the negatives, it’s important to still see the bright side and positives in this unique situation. If you’re at home with your family, take advantage of this quality time to play with your kids more, re-connect with your partner and do more fun home activities together! For instance, something that we did not do consistently before was eat meals together. Now, we are eating most all our meals together, playing more board games and just enjoying the little moments!
When it comes to YOUR health and fitness, this is a GREAT time to begin a workout program or continue to progress with your current fitness routine. I totally understand that space and equipment may be limited at home, but that’s no excuse to not get moving! Here are some fun suggestions on how to “sneak” in exercise while stuck at home:
- Take a walk outside– Do this as a family! This will also be a great way to break up the day from work and homeschooling. Commit, as a family, to do at least one physical activity together each day.
- Do push-ups, jumping jacks, planks, or whatever floats your boat during commercial breaks when watching TV.
- Wake up an hour earlier (yes, I know that sounds hard) and workout BEFORE everyone else is up- This is what I do for myself most everyday to guarantee a workout. I get to zone out on my indoor bike or complete a virtual workout sess. Just GET.IT.DONE!
- Not an early morning person? Workout at night after the kiddos go to bed!
- Play like a kid again! Grab your bikes, ball, have a race or play an active game outside with your kids.
- Sneak squats and lunges in throughout your day– while brushing your teeth, do some squats, calf raises while cooking dinner, or lunges while taking a conference call. There are so many ways to sneak in exercise throughout the day!
- Work those Transverse Abs! What are the transverse abs (TA)? They are deep, innermost abdominals closest to your organs and helps support your lower back. When you suck in your stomach (think about pulling the bellybutton towards the spine), you’re working your TA’s! Do this when sitting or standing and hold for 20-30 seconds increments throughout the day.
- Have an accountability buddy! Challenge your friends to a virtual workout sess! Whether it’s hopping on Zoom, Facetime or House Party and working out together or challenge each other to complete an online workout!
- Invest in some affordable home workout equipment. Here’s a list and link to my favs:
- TRX Home2System
- Gymwell Portable Resistance Workout Set– Use my code to save: GYMWELLAA
- Hope Fitness Gear bands and sliding discs- A portion of all proceeds goes towards helping children battling cancer and other serious illnesses. Use my code to save: ALLYFIT
- Tidal Tank on Amazon!
- Carbon38– OK, it’s not fitness equipment but look stylish while working out! Use my code to save on your first two purchases: ALLISONLEEA20
- Alo Yoga– Just one more for fabulous and perfect fitting fitness clothes!
- Take virtual fitness classes on YouTube or follow my daily workouts on Instagram @Allyfitatl
Stay healthy and safe everyone!
*** I am part of several affiliate marketing programs. If you click on a link and purchase, I may make commission.