What a crazy time it is for everyone during this Covid-19 pandemic. With schools and businesses shut down and people being encouraged to not leave their homes, it still feels surreal and like we’re all in really bad long movie where we don’t know the outcome. Learning how to adapt to homeschooling AND entertaining my 6-year-old son, Apollo, has also been a challenge as well. I miss teaching my fitness classes, training clients and being around all of my wonderful work family.
Despite all the negatives, it’s important to still see the bright side and positives in this unique situation. If you’re at home with your family, take advantage of this quality time to play with your kids more, re-connect with your partner and do more fun home activities together! For instance, something that we did not do consistently before was eat meals together. Now, we are eating most all our meals together, playing more board games and just enjoying the little moments!
When it comes to YOUR health and fitness, this is a GREAT time to begin a workout program or continue to progress with your current fitness routine. I totally understand that space and equipment may be limited at home, but that’s no excuse to not get moving! Here are some fun suggestions on how to “sneak” in exercise while stuck at home:
- Take a walk outside– Do this as a family! This will also be a great way to break up the day from work and homeschooling. Commit, as a family, to do at least one physical activity together each day.
- Do push-ups, jumping jacks, planks, or whatever floats your boat during commercial breaks when watching TV.
- Wake up an hour earlier (yes, I know that sounds hard) and workout BEFORE everyone else is up- This is what I do for myself most everyday to guarantee a workout. I get to zone out on my indoor bike or complete a virtual workout sess. Just GET.IT.DONE!
- Not an early morning person? Workout at night after the kiddos go to bed!
- Play like a kid again! Grab your bikes, ball, have a race or play an active game outside with your kids.
- Sneak squats and lunges in throughout your day– while brushing your teeth, do some squats, calf raises while cooking dinner, or lunges while taking a conference call. There are so many ways to sneak in exercise throughout the day!
- Work those Transverse Abs! What are the transverse abs (TA)? They are deep, innermost abdominals closest to your organs and helps support your lower back. When you suck in your stomach (think about pulling the bellybutton towards the spine), you’re working your TA’s! Do this when sitting or standing and hold for 20-30 seconds increments throughout the day.
- Have an accountability buddy! Challenge your friends to a virtual workout sess! Whether it’s hopping on Zoom, Facetime or House Party and working out together or challenge each other to complete an online workout!
- Invest in some affordable home workout equipment. Here’s a list and link to my favs:
- TRX Home2System
- Gymwell Portable Resistance Workout Set– Use my code to save: GYMWELLAA
- Hope Fitness Gear bands and sliding discs- A portion of all proceeds goes towards helping children battling cancer and other serious illnesses. Use my code to save: ALLYFIT
- Tidal Tank on Amazon!
- Carbon38– OK, it’s not fitness equipment but look stylish while working out! Use my code to save on your first two purchases: ALLISONLEEA20
- Alo Yoga– Just one more for fabulous and perfect fitting fitness clothes!
- Take virtual fitness classes on YouTube or follow my daily workouts on Instagram @Allyfitatl
Stay healthy and safe everyone!
*** I am part of several affiliate marketing programs. If you click on a link and purchase, I may make commission.