We are one month into the New Year…are you sticking with your New Year’s Resolutions? Statistics show that most people have already dropped their New Year’s resolutions by the end of January! Don’t let that be you. With the right approach and some dedication, you can turn your resolutions into realities. Here are 10 proven strategies for sticking to your New Year’s Resolutions.
- Set specific, achievable goals: This is the FIRST step to sticking with your goals! Rather than making vague resolutions like “I want to be healthier,” think about what that means to you and set specific goals. For instance, “I want to exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.”
- Break down larger goals to smaller, manageable tasks: When you set larger goals, they can seem way too overwhelming and unachievable. Instead, break them down into smaller tasks. For instance, if your goal is to exercise more, start with just 10 minutes a day and gradually increase the tie you spend working out.
- Create a timeline or deadline for each goal: Having a deadline can help you stay motivated and on track. There is a clear endpoint which makes it easier to stay focused on your goal.
- Hold yourself accountable and track progress regularly: Keeping track of your progress is a great way to stay accountable and motivated. Use a journal or app to track your progress and see how far you’ve come and how much farther you must go!
- Celebrate the small victories: It’s important to celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may be. When you reach a milestone, take a moment to acknowledge your hard work and give yourself a pat on the back.
- Surround yourself with supportive friends and family: Having a supportive team around you will make a HUGE difference and help you stick with those resolutions. Find friends and family members also working on their own goals and support each other along the way.
- Do not set unrealistic expectations: Be FLEXIBLE! When expectations are set too high, it’s easy to get discouraged and give up on your goals. Instead, be flexible and adjust your goals as needed
- Stay motivated through positive self-talk and visualization: These are powerful tools for staying motivated. Build confidence and stay more energized through these techniques!
- Seek help and support when needed: Sticking with New Year’s resolutions can be challenging, but you don’t have to do it alone! Seek help and support from friends, family or a professional.
- Keep perspective and remember the reasons behind your resolutions: When you focus on the reasons behind your goals, it’s easier to stay motivated and dedicated.
While it’s easy to make resolutions and goals, now’s the time to put in the work to make them happen! You’ve got this!